Friday, May 27, 2011

T-Mobile - The Sinking Ship

My few thoughts on the T-Mobile merging with AT&T.



I am a proud T-Mobile customer. A former AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and even Cingular customer. There is a reason I am with T-Mobile now, actually many. The number one reason though, is price. T-Mobile is bang for the buck no question about it. But, at what price? TMO's data speeds frequently perform better than their competitors in the major markets, their plans cost less, and they have properly competitive phones. So, why is the Magenta Lady struggling to keep her head above water? Why would anyone choose Verizon instead?

I propose a few ideas. One being, TMO's ad department is atrocious. I have never seen an ad for T-Mobile that made me lust for their phones or plans. Well, I have never lusted for a plan. I am an American, I want things, objects, gadgets and loot. I lust over phones. Verizon wins this battle hands down. I want every phone ever put in a Verizon commercial. A good case in point is the phone I have now, the LG G2x. This is the best phone TMO has ever had, and easily competitive to any other phone out there. However, T-Mobile has absolutely no commercial campaign focused on this phone. There are times when it is shown in the hands of the actors in commercials, but not even mentioned. No one cares about the plan or data if they never see "Dual Core!" "Super HD Display!" "Apps Apps Apps Apps!" Not to mention lighting storms, robot wars, phones flying through space. We are American consumers, our closest relatives are toddlers and raccoons, we love shiny. Gimmicks work, ask Steve Jobs.

Poor advertising isn't all that is hurting TMO. The best feature of TMO is also it's worst enemy. Low plan pricing. There is a reason Verizon, AT&T and Sprint cost more, they want to make more money. AT&T costs more so they can have $38 billion to wave at T-Mobile.

As much as it would hurt me as a T-Mobile customer, their best option (besides finding a new sugar momma) is to raise their prices to meet the rest of the market. Though, it is likely too late for this, a change like that would drive most of the remaining customers away for sure.

So, I say farewell to my favorite mobile carrier. We had some good times. In a few years it seems, I will be a AT&T customer, or will have moved on. I'll keep dreaming about the silly Google takeover -- G-Mobile.

1 comment: